Saturday, November 29, 2008

Paradise That is Pohnpei

Today marks my 7th year here in Pohnpei. “Time flies when you’re having fun” I remember one song goes, but for me “time flies when you like what you do”, for if it’s not that then I would have gone back home after a year or two. Its not always fun though, there are times when days were difficult. But all in all it was, and still, a good adventure for me.
Going back years even before med school, I chose to pursue my Doctoral study at Saint Louis University way up north in Baguio City so I will be closer to my province of La Union where I see myself practicing Medicine later on. I did for a while after med school and securing my medical license and my practice was slowly picking up. But then there was economics and the sad story of politics intervening in my pursuit of further practice which eventually ended my dream of staying and continue my practice there.
Then came this opportunity to practice here in Pohnpei which on first impression, was like going back to my province. The setting was rural, plain and simple, and the people are in need of medical care. The feeling and ambiance of the place is like staying in the province, people with simple needs and wants and living a simple life. The only difference is you’re earning and using Dollar currency. So I felt comfortable and not wanting in my stay.
Pohnpei is one of the four state of the Federated States of Micronesia, the others being Yap, Chuuk and Kosrae. It is here where the capital of FSM is that is why it becomes the center of all activities of the country. It is located about 3 hour plane ride to the east of Guam and about 7 hours plane trip to the west of Hawaii.
When you arrive in Pohnpei, a big sign outside the airport would greet you “Welcome to Pohnpei: The garden island of Micronesia” because of its very beautiful flora and fauna some of which are only found in this island paradise and truly this small island of 34 thousand people is a Paradise in its own right. People in general are very courteous and friendly, the place has lots to offer if you’re the one who wants tranquility and peace. No shopping mall, just small groceries which offers mostly products from the Philippines and from the mainland US; having only one theater but always up to date; a disco house for those who likes to dance the night away (literally the night because it closes after midnight); bars and restaurants are a plenty for people here really loves to eat.
Another thing I admire in Pohnpei is their politicians. I am used to see politicians in the Philippines with body guards left and right (front and back too) that even a Barangay Chairman cannot move about the barangay without his tanods; but here, the President of the FSM goes to church by himself without anybody guarding him. You would often meet their Congressmen and Senators walking the streets usually in their zorries (slippers) and very simple clothes. You can even be elbow to elbow with the Governor in one of the restaurants.
Though they have their own government, people still believe in the traditional culture of having Nahnmwahrki (kings) in every Municipality. Traditional beliefs also play major roles in everyday life of the people, but slowly western ways are on the rise especially in the younger generations.
So how did I end up here in Pohnpei? Well let me see where I will start, hmmmmm. I was in my senior year as a Resident Physician for the Department of Family and Community Medicine at Quezon City General Hospital and was on my rotation with the Internal Medicine Department when I overheard one of the Consultant Physician ask the residents if they would be interested in working somewhere in Micronesia. So I asked him if they are only interested with an Internist and if I could also apply. He said they may consider me and if I am interested, to give him my Resume. After several weeks, he called me up to set up a meeting with his friend who knows the owner of the hospital in Micronesia that is looking for a physician. To make the long story short, I was able to talk to the owner and agreed in principle as to what the contract would be. After that everything went so fast that in late October of 2001 I already have my ticket and Entry permit for Pohnpei. I remember having a difficult decision of leaving because I was having problems leaving my two boys behind. They were very young that time and I know they need me to be beside them. But on the other hand, if I go on with this their future would be better secured. So I kept postponing my trip until my mom and dad gave me security that they will be taking care of my two boys and everything would be okay.
So finally, I left for Pohnpei on 29 November 2001 and arriving 30 November 2001.
I started working in Pohnpei for Genesis Hospital and after 4 years was offered a position for the government hospital. Actually more for the Public Health Department, I accepted the offer and was assigned to man the Community Health Center. After 6 months on the job, the Director of Health Services met with me and told mo to give another application for the position of Medical Director for the Health Center since it has been vacated for several years. And so I was then promoted to Health Director of the Center. Being the Medical Director has its privileges like attending Seminars and Conferences held in the US mainland, Hawaii and Guam on a regular basis but the draw back would be more paper works and reports. Oh well, who says such trip is free.
I my seven years here in Pohnpei, I have made new friends and acquaintances. Some of them already left for better work in one case or another. I have been elected president of the Timpuyog Dagiti Ilocanos iti Pohnpei (TDIP), an Ilocano association, at one time and was elected, and still serving, as a Board Member for the United Filipino Community In Pohnpei (UFCP) twice. I remember during the first election, I received the 2nd highest vote for the position of Board member and during the last election landed in the 1st place. Being in the Board, it has become parallel with being the masters of ceremonies for most of the events and the most fun assignment for me was to play Santa Claus during the Christmas Party. You should see the faces of the kids when they see me, the smile they have is really priceless.
Again all in all it has been a good seven years for me and I am looking for several years more. This has become my second home away form home; my paradise and the most tranquil place for me to think about my future and the future of my kids.

No comments: